Thursday, October 10, 2013

Magician pulls running shoes out of his hat




You swear there’s some magic involved when Max Armstrong, who has pulled a few rabbits out of his hat during his 80 years, runs up one side of Pikes Peak and down the other.

People his age aren’t supposed to run marathons. Especially not marathons that involve running up a mountain that increases in altitude from 6,000 to 14,115 feet and then running back down.

Armstrong defies logic, though. And when you consider he didn’t even take up running until he was just a few months shy of his 65th birthday, you can roll logic up in a big ball and make it disappear.

These references to magic aren’t by happenstance. Because Armstrong, on top of doing almost everything else in a colorful and diverse life, has made his biggest mark sawing women in half.Best wholesale fashion {%} from china.Women Shoes Factory

Not literally. It’s just an act.

“Magic has always been something that’s kind of haunted me,” said Armstrong, who will be on the course as a zone manager during Sunday’s Prairie Fire Marathon. “I got into it when I was a kid, just as a hobby. My uncle showed me stuff, a bunch of card tricks. And I never could get away from it.”

Armstrong, who graduated from East High in 1951, has put a lot of variety into his life. He was in the Marine Corps and a captain when he got out. He then spent 22 years in the Wichita Police Department and was a captain when he retired in 1977, at the age of 44.industrial bag filters manufacturer‎ supply cheap and high quality bags.APL Machinery is a manufacturer of UV coating curing systems, screen printing, postpress, PVC profile printing and {%} machines, and Vegra is a manufacturer of dispersion coatings, fountain solutions, specific purpose coatings, cleaning and maintenance products and printing aids.PPNONWOVENBAG

He went on to own the Aloha Restaurant near Towne East, taught criminal justice classes at Wichita State and ran several martial arts studios in Wichita, specializing in judo and aikido.

“Aikido is a good form of defense with police officers,” Armstrong said. “It helps control people without really hurting them.”

Armstrong grew up in Dallas and, because his father was a troubleshooter for an oil company, went to 13 schools in nine states. He started high school at East and has been in Wichita since.

But it wasn’t until 15 years ago that he took up running. It wasn’t until 15 years ago that he ever thought about taking up running.

“I hated running,” Armstrong said. “I never wanted to run when I was in school. But I had to get out of the martial arts business when I started going on the road doing these magic shows for schools, and I wondered what I was going to do to stay in shape.”

Armstrong first tried walking, he said, but became bored. Not enough action.hiking boots sale On Sale - Shop our selection of Hiking Boots On Sale,www.qdgoutdoor.com.

“That’s when I took off running,” he said.

And he’s never stopped. Armstrong estimated he’s run in 275 races and in two weeks will participate in the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C., along with about 30,000 others.

“I try to use my running as inspiration for others,” Armstrong said.

A couple of years ago, he was sitting in a restaurant in Colorado and a man next to him saw Armstrong wearing a running T-shirt.

“He was kind of slumped over and he saw my shirt and said he couldn’t do anything like that,” Armstrong said. “I asked him how old he was and he said, ‘Fifty-four.’ Well, I was 77 or 78 at the time and I told him he was never too old to get out and do things.”

Armstrong doesn’t know whether the man took up running.Wholesale Sunglasses, You Can Buy Various High Quality Wholesale Sunglasses Products from Global wholesale sunglasses manufacturers. But pro

Read the full story at http://www.sihongfilter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment